Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic plastic surgery in the country. Despite its popularity, most women lack the information needed to make an informed decision regarding their bodies. If you are thinking about getting breast implants, here are some questions you should ask at your initial breast augmentation consultation.
Get to Know your Plastic Surgeon:
Start your meeting with your surgeon by asking these key questions:
- Are you board certified?
- If you are not certified, why?
It is essential to ensure that a plastic surgeon who has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery performs your breast augmentation. Experience and proper training make all the difference. You may want to ask the following:
- How many augmentations have you performed?
- What is the most frequent complication you experience with your augmentation procedures?
Get to Know the Implants:
Breast implants made of saline and silicone come in various shapes and sizes, and it is important to know what type of implant your surgeon will use. Ask your surgeon:
- What type of implant do you use?
- What size implant is right for my body?
You already have an idea what size breasts you want. However, your surgeon will be able to guide you to the right-sized implant based on what you discuss at the consultation. Before your consultation, answer these questions for yourself:
- Do I want to look better in a bikini/wardrobe?
- Am I getting a breast lift with implants due to sagging?
- Does my lifestyle include fitness?
- Do I expect to gain or lose a significant amount of weight in the future?
Get to Know the Procedure:
Cosmetic plastic surgery is a serious procedure. During the consultation, ask the surgeon questions about the operation. It is important to learn how the surgeon will perform your breast augmentation and what to expect. The more you choose to discover about the actual procedure, the more comfortable you can feel when the time comes. Get started with these questions about the procedure:
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- How long does the operation take?
- What type of incisions will be made?
- Is breast augmentation surgery safe?
- Will breast augmentation surgery hurt?
Get to Know your Recovery:
The recovery process is sure to be on your mind before getting your new breast implants. Women commonly want to know when they can resume normal activities. The best thing to do is make a checklist with all your concerns about recovering from breast augmentation surgery. Common questions about recovery include:
- What do I do for post-surgery care?
- What is the risk of infection?
- How much scarring should I expect?
- When can I return to work/gym/sports?
- What impact does breast augmentation have on future pregnancy/breastfeeding?
- Will getting breast implants increase my breast cancer risk?
Financial Questions to Ask at Your Breast Augmentation Consultation:
Finally, you need to know how you will pay for your breast augmentation. You should consult your surgeon regarding the following issues:
- How much does breast augmentation cost?
- Do you accept insurance for breast augmentation?
- What, if any, financing options are available for my breast augmentation?
Schedule a Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
This list is by no means exhaustive. You probably have some questions to ask the surgeon at your breast augmentation consultation. Dr. Layton is prepared to answer any of your questions and ensure that you feel ready to undergo this procedure. Make your checklist and contact us today to schedule a private consultation to discuss your new breast implants.